Saturday, May 12th 2012
Robert Ryman, Archive, 1980
Regarding this…I don’t like the “I could have done that” argument, I find it has very little merit in regard to the worth of a piece, besides this, here is what I have to say about Robert Ryman and in turn, a lot of minimalist artists out there, it’s not for everyone. And on that point, nothing is for everyone, not one piece of clothing, one game, one TV show, one movie, one type of flower, one color, one city, one haircut etc, etc. You don’t have to like everything, no one is twisting your arm about it.
I worked at a gallery that had a (IMO) brilliant Carl Andre opening and the crowd was split in thirds: 1/3 hated it and left immediately (very vocal), 1/3 hated the people who hated it (also vocal), and 1/3 enjoyed it without hating on anyone.
To me Robert Ryman was looking for ways to convey meanings using a different method of painting and used materials in a way that is often viewed as nontraditional. I find this piece to be meditative and his methods to be one of a purposeful and controlled chaos. It’s really beautiful to me.
I also find it interesting that people can get so violently angry against minimalist art in a way they don’t against even abstract expressionism, pop or whatever contemporary thing is happening at Peres Projects. I feel like it must be some resentment that builds to the piece not engaging or reflecting one’s disgusted or dissatisfied mental state when being confronted with it.
Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
I have never read the argument for minimalist art put so perfectly.
I’d like to highlight the ‘you don’t have to like everything’ part of it. Because you don’t have to like everything. And you don’t have to tell everyone what you hate. There’s enough negativity in the world with you adding to it.
- deadprecedence reblogged this from cavetocanvas
- black-star-god likes this
- deadprecedence likes this
- dimeunamentira likes this
- underthechinaberrytree likes this
- curate-create reblogged this from cavetocanvas and added:
- les-filles-imaginaires likes this
- transparentvignettes likes this
- obsessionofattraction likes this
- mica-fa likes this
- cools-hits likes this
- bluesey reblogged this from suicideblonde
- artyurl reblogged this from suicideblonde
- vacuumnoise likes this
- pockethock likes this
- janelikesyou reblogged this from wholesomeobsessive and added:
- wholesomeobsessive reblogged this from merrymiaow
- chimericalnightmares likes this
- pagetwentythrree likes this
- squirrelfiend reblogged this from speioritur
- speioritur reblogged this from artpedia
- insolentchild reblogged this from cavetocanvas
- mombasaclub reblogged this from hydeordie
- feedthecrows likes this
- fuckyeahamericanart reblogged this from thesecularsoup
- berylliumsphere reblogged this from suicideblonde
- the-tardis-gets-wifi reblogged this from merrymiaow
- merrymiaow reblogged this from suicideblonde
- tropicalunch reblogged this from dadoodoflow
- alices-wonderland reblogged this from suicideblonde
- bossestbitch reblogged this from hydeordie
- kylindrikoianthropoi reblogged this from agapie
- agapie reblogged this from cavetocanvas
- misspiggybundy likes this
- limbless-creaturess likes this
- sophiathomas reblogged this from hydeordie
- professorbutterscotch reblogged this from cavetocanvas
- seesarahgo reblogged this from suicideblonde and added:
- shakurarts reblogged this from cavetocanvas
- robilla reblogged this from artpedia
- sexinthecracow likes this
- ccmonbb reblogged this from hydeordie
- insolentchild likes this
- thephotographycurator likes this
- minimaldollars likes this
- i-burn-fairies likes this
- calgreen likes this
- sifot reblogged this from hydeordie
- miguelolvera reblogged this from cavetocanvas